A little bit about us!
Fupay is a financial technology company operating a lifestyle management platform for Gen Z and Millennials, which consists of a money management solution and responsible buy now pay later (BNPL) service for everyday lifestyle costs.
Fupay empowers our members to Take Charge of their money by providing them with an automated holistic view of their previous, current and future pay-cycle cash flow. We use a member’s transactional data and machine learning techniques to provide actionable insights, including whether they will have any left over cash or will be short across a number of future pay-cycles. We help Millennials to Live Large and enjoy their lifestyle by spotting a member’s lifestyle costs or a small amount of cash and providing them the flexibility to pay us back over a small number of pay-cycles.
Following 3 years of product development, we have now opened up our platform to everyone, including our own B2C offering (the Fupay app) and a brand new Greenfield platform as a service offering that is centralised around our data assets most importantly our affordability service which aims to re-define responsible lending for a new generation of customer and short term credit products.
We are looking for a technical leader to head up our Data Engineering & Machine Learning function taking on the accountability to build this capability from the ground up. We are looking for a passionate go-getter with an eye for detail and a love for all things complex! We have lots of chunky problems to solve and data is at the heart of our business both operationally and commercially.
As the General Manager of Data Engineering at Fupay you will be responsible for leading a small team of Data Engineers and Scientists to redefine cash flow insights and responsible lending on a global scale. You will work with our Senior Executive to disseminate our company strategy and commercial drivers into clear tangible data execution initiatives and play a key role in architect and implementation of all Data Engineering functions. This is a hands-on role, where you will be both “on the tools” and “in the room” with a good mix of product ownership, architecture, implementation and line management responsibilities rolled into one. No two days will be the same.
Your team will work with large volumes of transactional data and are charged with leveraging this to drive predictive and personalised actionable cash flow insights as well as drive our proprietary “affordability algorithm” making programmatic lending decisions based on underlying insights and algorithmic rule outputs. These insights drive the entire Fupay business, providing us with unique information about our organisation and most importantly, our customer. This means that our data team also caters for our internal data as a service capabilities to fuel internal enquiries reporting, plus analytical insights supporting our executive decision making capabilities.
Your key responsibilities
- Data Champion: Champion the importance of a data culture (including the importance of data-based decision making) and ensure it permeates throughout Fupay. Serve as a thought leader for Fupay on data, machine learning and business intelligence topics.
- Set Data & ML Strategy: Work with our executive team to set the vision and roadmap for the data practice to support our growth objectives and develop appropriate data, analytics reporting and machine learning solutions to address Fupay’s strategic goals.
- Lead the Data practice: Lead, coach, mentor, hire and manage a team of Data Engineers, Scientists and Analysts fostering close collaboration with the business.
- Data Integrity: Ensure data security, privacy, integrity, quality, regulatory compliance and data governance (gathering, warehousing and reporting) is maintained to ensure data being collected has the proper attributes and reported on to make smart decisions.
- Scalable Data Architecture & Models: Own and build scalable models Fupay to be able understand our customers better and drive better commercial outcomes. This specifically pertains to our all important affordability algorithm which drives every facet of both our B2C and B2B lines of business.
- Deliver insights: Develop and implement advanced analytic approaches including multivariate analysis, A/B testing and journey tracking. Improve our approach to reporting & analytics through a robust continuous improvement process.
What you’ll bring
- You likely have 10+ years formal professional data-related technical experience and 3+ years of experience managing people, ideally gained in innovative high-tech growth companies with outstanding talent practices.
- AWS is a must in this role, you must be highly proficient in AWS tooling and architecture practices - AWS certifications are highly advantageous.
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced delivery environment with the ability to lead a team end to end from concept to deployment in an agile and fun way!
- Demonstrable experience dealing with complex data problems that are experimental in nature.
- A genuine sense of enjoyment for being both hands-on with your team at an execution level whilst also managing day to day engineering operations and architecture, you’re someone who loves a challenge and likes being busy!
- Delivery management expertise in architecture, estimation, solution design planning and delivery - a background as a principal engineer/team lead highly desirable.
- Strong collaboration and presentation skills, you are comfortable to communicate with a non-technical audience to gather requirements and explain solutions. You have the ability to engage at all levels of an organisation from C-suite to intern levels.
- You excel at translating basic business problem statements into analysis requirements and working with internal customers to define best output based on expressed stakeholder needs.
- You have a strong technical background and can contribute to thought leadership. You demonstrate technical expertise in modern AI, analytics, data warehouse technologies, cloud platforms. This includes understanding of structured and unstructured data; understanding of analytics tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, Segment, AWS Quicksight, Looker or Thoughtspot.
- Exposure to database platforms such as MySQL,Postgresql, DynamoDB and of course AWS. Exposure to data and wider engineering programming languages such as R, Python, sql. Typescript is also highly desirable.
What’s On Offer
- Flexible working hours/location, only fixed time is the morning stand up
- Friday team BBQ lunch on the river view deck
- Attractive salary and career opportunities in a growing company
- The ability to have a voice to help drive technical decision making
- Make it your own, build it, ship it, know it, own it
- Regular social events and a keen focus on company culture
You have a record of taking ownership of the work you do, you can start and most importantly finish! You’re most productive in a T-shirt. What’s most important to us is cultural fit. Work for us isn’t just a job.
Fupay embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Reach out to us today to join the team!